28 Jun “Making Sense Out Of Tragedy” by Dave Gadoury
We are still talking about it. One horrible night of carnage in Orlando, Florida will not be easily forgotten. Jim Ricci’s recent blog on this site got us all thinking about how we should respond when we are confronted by yet another act of brutality. The debate over the causes of these acts of violence continues among us. But there is another disturbing element in these things that is seldom considered.
With light from God through His word, the Bible, we learn that there was more behind this than merely terrorism, guns, or prejudice. This evil, and countless others like it that befall us, are also a result of dark forces at work in the spiritual realm. This Evil with a capital E is something that only the Son of God can overcome.
Colossians 1:13 says, “He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son…”
The sad fact is that a “dominion of darkness” is at work in our world. It has a leader, who is called, among other things, Satan, and it has a long history. From our human vantage point, that history began in the moment long ago when the first humans faced a choice of whether or not to rebel against the God who made them.
Whether we sophisticated moderns want to admit it, the Bible straightforwardly pulls back the covers so we can see exactly what our enemy is doing. We learn, for example, that:
• He blinds the minds of unbelievers so that they cannot or will not acknowledge nor trust in the God who made them. (2 Corinthians 4:4)
• He works in those who try to live their lives without God, motivating them and deceiving them to work in unexplainably horrid ways. (Ephesians 2:2)
• The whole world lies in his power, so that people around us, ourselves included, knowing it or not, are doing his bidding on a daily basis. (1 John 5:19)
• He propagates lies, so that as the father of deceptions he is able to pull whole civilizations into the web of his hateful and destructive schemes (John 8:44)
• He takes away the word of Good News that is sown, so that even when there are influences for good and for God, the effects of these are snatched away. (Matthew 13:19)
The good news in all of this is that the overcoming Kingdom of God’s Son is also at work in our world. Despite the Enemy’s attempts to destroy Him in infancy, to tempt him into failure, to afflict him with suffering, or to cow him by the fear of violent death, Jesus has overcome. He is alive, and His kingdom is present and advancing.
We are all at one time the hostage of this terrorizing mastermind. The only possible deliverance comes through the work of the living, risen Savior of the world, Jesus Christ. Have you been delivered from the domain of darkness and transferred to the kingdom of God’s Son? That freedom can be yours the moment you surrender in faith to Him.